Sunday 15 July 2012

Reflection on chapter 1 & 2



Sometimes teachers are afraid to let children explore with mathematics. as shown in the picture above, the teacher is afraid of letting children explore and finding different ways and approach to get the same answer which is to create a bird. How will you react if you are in her place?

I remembered during my primary school years, I just need to memorise and follow whatever is in my notebook as my Math teacher will use the exact questions in the exam. most of us will pass with flying colours but we had a lot of problem in our 'O' level maths. Why? Because I do not learn that mathematics in classroom can be applied in the real world.

From chapter 1 and 2, I have learnt about the standards and principles for school mathematics and what are the teacher's roles in making children know and do mathematics. I agreed with what was mentioned in page 22, "Teaching should provide opportunities for students to build connections between what they know and what they are learning". This reflects back on constructivist theory on assimilation and accommodation. Thus, it is important for teachers to understand mathematics very well before creating an environment where children can try out different ways or approaches to solve the questions. Hope to learn more about teaching mathematics to young children this coming week!

No comments:

Post a Comment